Paystack is live for all merchants in Kenya
All businesses in Kenya can now accept online payments with Paystack
We’re excited to announce that Paystack is now out of private beta, and available to all businesses in Kenya!
We’re thrilled to bring our payments and business growth tools to even more ambitious businesses across Africa.
Paystack builds payment technology for ambitious teams in Africa. With operations in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa, our team of 250 Stacks is building a growth engine for modern businesses across the continent.
Some of the themes that motivate and excite us include: how do we make it absurdly easy to start - and scale - a business in Africa? How do we dramatically increase the volume of intra-Africa trade? What new business models can technology make possible in Africa? And how can we integrate Africa into the global economy?
In 2020, we were acquired by global payments company Stripe, and we continue to work closely with the Stripe team on our mission to accelerate commerce in Africa with online and in-person payment tools.
10 months in Kenya, and counting…
10 months ago, we announced that we had received a Payment Service Provider Authorisation from the Central Bank of Kenya, and also announced the launch of our Kenya private beta.
Since then, we’ve worked very closely with a vibrant community of business owners, developers, and partners. Over 700 businesses signed up for the beta, and with each transaction processed, we’ve learned what works best for you, refined our product, and built a service that we’re excited and proud to share with all of Kenya ❤️
To get started with Paystack in Kenya, simply create a free account at paystack.com/signup.
Accept payments from anyone, anywhere in the world
Join over 200,000 businesses — from startups, and e-commerce stores to household names, such as MTN and UPS — that accept payments using PaystackCreate a free Paystack account
What can you do with Paystack?
Paystack powers growth for organizations of all types and sizes, from startups to small retailers, to government agencies, and enterprises. All businesses in Kenya now have access to the following Paystack tools:
- Accept payments online via multiple channels: Cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), M-PESA, and Apple Pay
- Get settled in KES and USD, into your preferred bank account or M-PESA wallet. The Split Payment feature also lets you take one customer payment, and create rules that automatically split that payment into multiple bank accounts or M-PESA wallets
- Accept payments through several e-commerce platforms such as Shopify, WooCommerce, Zoho, Wix, and many more. See the full list on the Paystack Integrations Directory
- Transfer money easily to M-PESA wallets. Some merchants use this feature to pay out salaries and vendors. Fintechs also use it to disburse funds to customers - for example, savings startups use this to pay out savings when customers request their funds.
- Collect recurring payments automatically and manage subscriptions
- Manage transaction disputes such as refunds and chargebacks from the Paystack Dashboard
- Monitor your business’ performance in real-time with the Paystack Dashboard and Mobile App. This reporting is valuable for accounting, reconciliation, and audits
- Define custom user permissions to give different members of your team access to specific parts of your transaction information
- Automated fraud detection and features such as Two Factor Authentication (2FA) and IP whitelisting which help keep your businesses and your customers safe
How to get set up with Paytack
There are three simple steps to using Paystack.
Step 1: Create your free account
Go to the Create Account page to create your free Paystack account.
Step 2: Create a way for customers to be able to pay you
There are multiple options for how to integrate with Paystack, depending on your needs.
- For tech startups and businesses with complex requirements, you can leverage our APIs to build pretty much any custom payment experience you can imagine. Simply check out our developer documentation to get started. If you need help troubleshooting your integration, kindly contact our support team (if it’s a technical question, you’ll be connected to a developer internally who can help)
- Paystack is integrated with 40+ plugins and platforms. So, if you need to collect payments through platforms such as Shopify, WooCommerce, Wix, or Zoho, you’ll find an easy-to-use integration to power your payments in the Paystack Integrations Directory
- If you’re a creator or small business owner, you can use our free, no-code seller tools to build a beautiful online storefront for your business, connect with your customers, and accept payments from anyone, anywhere in the world, in just a few clicks. Check out all our free Commerce tools
If you need the help of an expert to help set up Paystack for you, the Paystack Service Partner Directory has dozens of vetted digital agencies and dev shops across Africa ready to assist you with everything from software development to brand design.
Step 3: Go live
Submit a few compliance documents to be able to start accepting live payments from real customers!
Our support team is ready to help!
If you have any questions at any point in the process, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our support team. Our on-the-ground team is eager to unblock you ASAP.
Value-added services for Kenyan tech startups and digital agencies
Are you a tech startup based in Kenya? Then you need to know about the Paystack Catalyst program. Run by our Startup Programs team, Paystack Catalyst is a collection of resources to help startups scale. Benefits include:
- Access to the Paystack Startup Bundle; extend your runway with $100k in savings on world-class startup tools such as AWS, Amplitude, and Stripe Atlas
- Warm introductions that move your business forward; tap into Paystack’s extensive global network to connect with fellow founders, investors, and industry experts who can unblock you
- Expert feedback on fundraising and accelerator applications, and more!
To access Paystack Catalyst, contact the team here →
And if you lead If you lead a digital agency or a dev shop in Kenya, you can partner with Paystack to provide seamless experiences for your existing clients, while you grow your business with client leads referred by Paystack.
As a member of the Paystack Service Partner Program, you’ll:
- Get priority support as you build custom payment solutions to meet your clients’ unique needs
- Enjoy priority access to new features, and insight into product improvements coming down the pipeline
- Gain exposure to new clients from the Paystack Service Partner Directory
If you’d like to become a Paystack Service Partner, get started here →
We’ve learned so much from collaborating with ambitious teams in Kenya, and these conversations have helped shape our product roadmap. Here’s an early look at some of the improvements coming soon to Paystack in Kenya:
- Shorter payout timelines: We’re working hard to reduce the time it takes for you to receive your payouts. This way, you can access your payments much faster
- Transfers to bank accounts: Today, you can send money from your Paystack Balance to M-PESA wallets. Soon, you’ll also be able to send money directly into Kenyan bank accounts
- Pay with Bank Transfers: We’ll soon add a new payment method called Pay with Bank Transfer. This will allow customers using the Paystack Checkout to pay you via a bank transfer
This is just the tip of the iceberg. We’re excited about the future, and laser-focused on serving you a stellar payment experience.
How do I sign up for Paystack?
Visit paystack.com/signup to create your free Paystack account, and follow the step-by-step instructions on your screen. It only takes a few minutes.
Can I use Paystack even if I don't have a registered business?
Yes, you can use the majority of Paystack features as an individual business owner without a registered business. This is a breakdown of features available to non-registered businesses, which we call Starter Businesses.
What documents do I need to create my free Paystack account?
As an individual business (that isn’t registered), all you need is a copy of your ID card, proof of address, and a bank account in your name.
For registered businesses, in addition to an ID card and proof of address, you’ll also need to upload your business registration documents, and a corporate bank account. Learn more about the requirements for registered businesses.
How long will it take to go live after I create my Paystack account?
You can start accepting real payments within 24 hours of sending in an activation request.
How much does it cost to collect payments with Paystack in Kenya?
Paystack only makes money when you do, and we provide discounted fees on large transaction volumes.
We charge 2.9% per local transaction, and 3.8% per international card and Apple Pay transactions. When a customer pays via Mobile Money (M-Pesa), we charge a fee of 1.5% per transaction.
Learn all about our pricing here and try out our price calculator to know exactly how much it costs to use Paystack. No hidden fees or charges. Zero integration fee. Zero maintenance fee.
How long does it take to receive my money after customers pay?
You'll receive your money three working days after a customer pays. In the next few months, this will become much shorter.
Can a business that’s not headquartered in Kenya sign up to use Paystack in Kenya?
Yes! You can sign up for Paystack in Kenya if you have all the required documents issued by the Kenyan government, including a Kenya-issued bank account.
What currencies are supported for collection and payouts?
You can collect payments and get settled in KES or USD.
Which payment channels does Paystack support in Kenya?
You can currently accept payments from cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), M-PESA, and Apple Pay.
I'm not in Kenya. When is Paystack coming to my country?
We're expanding all over Africa — share your email with us here to find out as soon as we're live in your country!
How can I contact the Paystack team in Kenya?
Contact the Paystack Kenya team at [email protected]. You can also visit our office in Ikigai Westland, Peponi Rd, Nairobi.
Meet the Paystack Kenya team
Do you have questions about how Paystack can support your business in Kenya? Join the live Q&A with the Paystack Kenya team to learn more about the various tools and services Paystack has available to help you scale!
Date: Wednesday, September 13
Time: 4 pm EAT (2 pm WAT)
Meet the Paystack Kenya team
Join an hour-long Q&A with the Paystack Kenya team, and have all your questions answered liveSign up for Live Q&A with the Paystack Kenya team →
Towards a better, connected Africa
It’s been a wonderful experience working so closely with ambitious teams, developers, the Central Bank of Kenya, PesaLink, M-PESA, and other amazing partners. We’re grateful for the support, and excited to open our doors to all businesses in Kenya.
It’s day one for commerce in Africa; we can't wait to see what you build with Paystack!